Garry Kasparov's Greatest Chess Games Vol 1 - Stohl
About the Garry Kasparov's Greatest Chess Games Vol 1 - Stohl
Garry Kasparov has dominated the chess world for more than twenty years. His dynamism and preparation have set an example that is followed by most ambitious players. Igor Stohl has selected 74 of Kasparov's best and most instructive games from 1973 to 1993, and annotated them in detail. The emphasis is on explaining the thoughts behind Kasparov's decisions, and the principles and concepts embodied by his moves. Stohl provides a wealth of fresh insights into these landmark games, together with many new analytical points. This makes the book outstanding study material for all chess enthusiasts.
- Garry Kasparov was born in 1963, and burst onto the scene in the late 1970s with a series of astonishing results in Soviet and international events. In 1985 he became the youngest world champion in history by defeating Anatoly Karpov in an epic struggle. When he announced his retirement from professional chess twenty years later, he was still world number 1. Kasparov is an internationally renowned figure, famous even among the non-chess-playing public.In 1985 Garry Kasparov became the youngest world chess champion in history by defeating Anatoly Karpov in an epic struggle. Garry is an internationally renowned figure, famous even among the non-chess-playing public following high-profile events such as his matches against IBM's Deep Blue supercomputer, and the Kasparov vs. World game in 1999.
- Igor Stohl is a well-known grandmaster from Slovakia. He plays in several national leagues and is a noted opening theoretician. His thorough annotations frequently appear in Ceskoslovensky Sach, Informator and ChessBase Magazine. His first book for Gambit, Instructive Modern Chess Masterpieces, won the United States Chess Federation Cramer Award for Best Book.
- 320 Pages
- Publisher: Gambit
- Published: 2006
- "Books of the week: Garry Kasparov's Greatest Chess Games (Volume 1 and Volume 2) by Igor Stohl are superb accounts of Kasparov's career, starting when he was ten years old and going right through to his final tournament at Linares 2005. The production quality is outstanding and the notes by the Slovak grandmaster are exhaustive. These books contain everything you ever wanted to know about Garry Kasparov." - GM Raymond Keene, The Times
- "Some of the most impressive publishing work I have seen is represented by the two-volume set Garry Kasparov's Greatest Chess Games by Igor Stohl." - GM Raymond Keene, The Spectator
- "The difference with other books that have examined these games is that Stohl has put a huge amount of effort to get things right by analyzing in depth." - Gary Lane, Chess Moves
- "[Stohl] often improves on Kasparov's past comments. It is one of this year's best books, and it could be a great help to Kasparov in preparation of his own works about his career." - Lubomir Kavalek, Washington Post
- "A very impressive book!" John Elburg, www.chessmail.com
- "The renowned Slovakian author won the United States Chess Federation Cramer Award for Best Book when his earlier Instructive Modern Chess Masterpieces was rightly judged to be of outstanding quality. Well, Stohl's superb new work is every bit as good" Paul Motwani, The Scotsman
- "Stohl is an excellent writer and clarity of explanation helps to make this an enjoyable book to study, and, while he can certainly analyze pretty deeply at times, this work contains fewer very long variations than Stohl's earlier work and so is very suitable for all levels of player. Recommended." Richard Palliser, Yorkshire Chess Association
- "The writer mentions one remarkable fact about his most celebrated of subjects: there has hardly been one comprehensive book dedicated to Kasparov's games since the late 1980s. ...When Kasparov was asked if he would write up his own 60, or perhaps 100, memorable games, he himself recently commented that such a small number would not cover it. He can be forgiven for a perceived lack of modesty: it is the unvarnished truth. Even he does not know where to start in selecting his best efforts. So Stohl must be commended for his sheer courage in taking on the task." John Saunders, BCM
- "Very highly recommended." ***** Phil Adams, 3C's