You'll look forward to sitting down with the chessboard like never before. The ultra-weighted, genuine ebony wood pieces offer an unquestionably luxurious look and feel, for an ultimate playing experience.
Yes, re-playing grandmaster games, following world championship matches, or checkmating a friend - this set of chessmen expertly crafted in India has lasting value.
- Foam slots topped with green velour provides individual piece protection
- Protective canvas case with sturdy zipper
- Easy to source replacement pieces from Chess House in the future means you'll never be without a playable set.
- Chess House logo on carrying case
- Made in India
- Storage Case: 16 1/2 x 16 1/2 x 2 1/2" (419 x 419 x 63.5 mm)
- Entire Set & Case Weight: 5.4 lbs
- Entire base green billiard felted
- King height: 3 5/8" (92 mm)
- King base: 1 9/16" (39.5 mm)
- King weight: 3.4 oz
- Pawn height: 1 7/8" (47.5 mm)
- 34 Chessmen - Includes extra queen
- Green billiard cloth felt bases
- Pieces weigh 4.1 lb
This boxwood & ebony version of the Ultimate Chess Pieces - well, technically, wooden pieces styled after the Ultimate pieces - is excellent.
The first thing I noticed about these pieces is that they are HEAVY. They are by far the heaviest out of all the 3.625" sets that I've seen. They weigh as much, if not slightly more, than some 4.4" sets. These pieces are very stable, so they are not prone to being knocked over by accident.
Design-wise, these pieces have a very similar style to the 1972 Reykjavik set. The main differences are that these knights have closed mouths and the pawns have their collars noticeably more slanted down. The other pieces look more or less identical.
Price-wise, an ebony set at this price is quite a steal. And the free fitted carrying case is a nice bonus on top.
I personally prefer 2" squares for this set, as seen in the photos below.
*Unrelated to the product's features , but a shout-out to the stellar customer service at Chess House as well. I took issue with a cosmetic defect on one of the white queens on the set I received, and a replacement was sent out on the next day with no hassles at all.