Karpov's Strategic Wins 2: The Prime Years - KarolyiProduct Code: 552428
About Karpov's Strategic Wins 2: The Prime Years - Karolyi.
Again, Tibor Karolyi explains Karpov's particular genius: features Karpov's most entertaining and instructive strategic wins from 1986-2010 when Karpov was battling with his young rival Garry Kasparov for chess supremacy It was during this period, at Linares in 1994, that Karpov achieved what statistics show to be the finest ever tournament performance. Tibor Karolyi is an International Master from Budapest who was Hungarian Champion in 1984. One of his previous books won the Guardian's Book of the Year prize in 2007. Karolyi coached Peter Leko, who improved in 4 years from promising junior to world class Grandmaster.
- 576 Pages
- Publisher: Quality
- Published: May, 2011
- "Karolyi dissects Karpov's wins thoroughly and the books examine Karpov's career in detail. It was a colossal undertaking and Karolyi spent several years studying his protagonist. He delivers a fascinating account of Karpov's skills." GM Lubomir Kavalek
- "As with volume one, Karpov's Strategic Wins 2 deserves book of the year accolades. The explanations are clearly written, the analysis is precise and in depth, the game examples are well chosen, and the production is outstanding. Treat yourself and buy it in hardcover, you won't regret it! [6 out of 6 stars]" Brian Almeida, ChessCafe
- "This volume continues where Volume 1 left off, and since there are so many massive battles versus the world's best, the book is even thicker than the first one! We get the same excellent layout, the same wonderful bios and indexes, and the same wonderfully presented notes. Of course, if you love Book 1 (and how could you not love the first one?) then you will absolutely want Book 2 also! Once again: Karpov's Strategic Wins (books 1 & 2) are a triumph for Tibor Karolyi, who cements his reputation as one of the world's finest chess writers, and for Quality Chess - they just keep cracking out great stuff." IM Jeremy Silman
- "This book will suit experienced players who are looking to really dig deep into the games of a World Champion. It will require some hard work on the part of the reader to get the most out of the deep notes, but there's no doubt that a careful study of games such as the ones quoted above will definitely prove beneficial to one's positional play." Sean Marsh
- "The eagerly anticipated sequel to Karpov's Strategic Wins 2... Even more expansive and elaborate than part 1, Karolyi's second volume is again a real treasure trove of magnificent strategic masterpieces... enthusiastic yet very objective commentary... A great read for both the serious chess student and the casual enthusiast." Arne Moll, ChessVibes